Today’s goal is to answer the following question:
What kind of France did Louis XVI inherit from his predecessors, Louis XIV and Louis XV?
We will begin with a short lecture about Louis XIV, a ruler who fashioned himself after a Greek God and was extraordinarily proud of the way his legs looked in stockings. True story.
Next, we will examine Louis’ palace, Versailles (yes, that Versailles).
Finally, you will conduct a short investigation into one of the following questions. Keep in mind that these questions are being asked only because they will help you understand the bolded question above; this should help you focus your research. When you present your findings, I will ask you to start by naming your source; thus, I want you to pay careful attention to the sources you use!
- What impact did Cardinal Fluery have on the economy of France
- What impact did Madame Pompadour have on the court of Louis XV?
- How did the War of Austrian Succession impact France?
- What factors led to Louis XV’s low popularity?
- What was the impact of the Seven Years’ War on France?