Over the next few weeks, we will attempt to answer the following questions:
- How does media shape our understanding of the world around us?
- What are the overt and implied messages of media texts we consume?
- How do media conventions convey meaning to the audience?
- How are conventions different from codes?
- Why do audiences respond differently to media texts?
I will attempt to introduce these concepts to you by using a very unusual form of sport…I mean entertainment….I mean soap opera…I mean…
I don’t know what I mean. What I do know, however, is that one of the most important theorists of the 20th century argued that watching professional wrestling is like watching the process of language in action. Believe it or not, this sport/form of entertainment/soap opera is a perfect place to start our examination of media.