Your goal today is to understand the state of Poland (politically, socially, etc) at the onset of World War II.
Please read the following sections of your textbook:
- Annexation of Austria (451 – last paragraph)
- Nazi-Soviet Non-Aggression Pact (456)
- Invasion of Poland (457)
- Once you are done, you will write a 1 page letter from the perspective of a citizen, soldier, or politician from Poland. Your letter will be addressed to either a loved one or Ignacy Mościcki, President of Poland.
- Or, you may work with other students to organize a protest against the invaders. You will present your protest before the end of today’s class:
Either way, you will explain:
- your initial response to the Nazi-Soviet Pact (Remember, Poland separates the Germans and the Russians: does this Non-Aggression Pact reassure you that your region is safe, or does it make you fearful about your neighbouring states’ intentions for your homeland?)
- Your feelings about the Invasion of Poland (remember to work in details from the reading into your work).
- You will be shown this clip to help you generate some more ideas. Pay particular attention to the disparity between the German war machine and the Polish military. http://www.learn360.com/ShowVideo.aspx?ID=480289&SearchText=invasion+of+poland