Today, we will talk about main characters. Since so many main characters in graphic novels are heroes, we also need to talk about what makes a hero.
Let’s begin by brainstorming about heroes:
- What characteristics does a hero have?
- How does a hero behave?
- What motivates a hero?
- How are heroes “made”?
Next, we need to talk about how a hero is a part of his time. Let’s take a brief look at the Phantom, the first masked hero.
Finally, I want you to examine the main character in your graphic novel. Write a least five points in your notes that answer the following question:
- Is the main character a hero? (provide evidence)
- How does the main character behave?
- What is the character’s motivation for this behaviour?
- What made the character act this way?
- What conflicts/problems does the main character encounter?