Ladies and Gents,
You have a few tasks today.
- Mr. Bouchard will give you approximately 25 minutes to finish your speech.
- Pair up with another student. Deliver your speeches to each other. When you are finished, provide some meaningful feedback to each other. Write your partner’s feedback about your work on the back of your speech. Here is your criteria:
- Can you clearly identify the student’s use of anaphora, distinctio, and a rhetorical question?
- How is the relationship between the speaker and the audience reflected in the language? (dominance, communality, or reciprocity)
- Repeat step 2 with a different student. Steps 2 and 3 should take a total of 20 minutes.
- In the remaining time, Mr. Bouchard will show you Steve Job’s commencement address at Stanford University. While you are not required to track Job’s use of rhetorical devices, I’d like you to listen closely his words.
Don’t forget to ask me about an upcoming test….