Today, we will examine some of the basic elements of effective oral communication.
- First, I will demo a truly awful presentation. This presentation features the worst elements of presentations I have witnessed in the past. I apologize in advance.
- To help you understand the relationship between content and delivery, we will try a little experiment. You and a partner will have 5 minutes to prepare a very short skit. You will pick your choices from the Centurion Helm of Infinite Glory.
- Next, we will watch another Rick Mercer Rant. This time, we will concentrate on his delivery and the camera work.
- Track the techniques he uses in your notes. You will have a few minutes to add ideas to your list at the rant’s conclusion.
- Although you will not be using a video camera, it is essential that we understand how the camera is used to shape our understanding. Watch the camera angles carefully, ladies and gents.
- We will watch the rant again. Please put up your hand whenever Mercer uses a technique you noted.
- Next, we will use a set of criteria provided by a professional speaker to analyse Steve Jobs’ introduction of the iPhone. Please note that this is not a rant; still, it will help us understand the relationship between content and form.