Hatshepsut is one of the most intriguing figures in history. She built great temples, led a great empire, and circumvented centuries of tradition and belief with startling effectiveness. And yet, her own people worked diligently to wipe her from their collective memory.
Today, you will watch a video about this incredible woman. The video is narrated by the actor who played Spock on Star Trek, which is, to temporarily break away from traditional teacher talk, all sorts of cool. As an added post-Valentine Day bonus, the video will also explain Hatshepsut’s clandestine relationship with her chief architect.
Your goal is to organize your notes around the following guiding questions. Point form will suffice. I will be checking your notebook on Thursday, so be ready.
- What is Hatshepsut’s legacy?
- Can a leader wiped from history by her own people really be considered great?
- Are Hatshepsut’s tremendous accomplishments during her rule sufficient to prove her greatness?
- This video is roughly 51 minutes long: http://www.learn360.com/ShowVideo.aspx?SearchText=hatshepsut&ID=226914
- If you have time, Ms. Hillis might show you this great photo gallery