I’ve started assembling a series of visual resources for CHC 2D. If you want to enhance your understanding, this is a good place to start.
World War I
- This page from CBC Archives has videos about World War I. The topics include Vimy Ridge, Passchendaele, and the Somme.
- Civilization.ca has an amazing gallery of objects, weapons, and uniforms from World War I.
- How the war led to the right to vote for Canadian women, from Civilization.ca.
Winnipeg General Strike
- A radio broadcast from the CBC looking back at the Winnipeg General Strike.
- Videos about Pioneering Women in Sports, from the CBC.
- Canada’s Residential Schools, from the CBC.
- This short video outlines the King-Byng affair.
- Agnes MacPhail, Canada’s first female MP, explains why there are not more women in Parliament.
- A video explaining how Nellie McClung mocked Parliament (1914).
- A video game from the Mccord Museum that teaches the user about the Roaring Twenties.
World War II
- Need to know more about the start of World War II? This page from CBC Archives has videos and radio clips that will help you understand the prelude to war.
- One of Canada’s darkest hours was the Dieppe Raid. Learn more about this contentious attack courtesy of the CBC.
- These somber clips and videos examine Auschwitz, one of the death camps used by Nazi Germany to murder millions of Jews.
- The Battle of Ortona was part of the Italian Campaign. Canadian troops met fierce resistence at this small Italian town. This battle defined the Canadian experience in World War II. Watch some truly incredible videos about Ortona from the CBC.
- Learn more about Canada’s roll in D-Day, the largest assault in history, courtesy of the CBC.
- Play the role of a spy in this video game from the BBC.
- This page from history.com features videos, photo galleries and slideshows about Kristallnacht, or the night of broken glass.