Hatshepsut is one of the most intriguing figures in history. She built great temples, led a great empire, and circumvented centuries of tradition and belief with startling effectiveness. And yet, her own people worked diligently to wipe her from their collective memory.
Today, you will conduct research and organize your ideas for a discussion we shall have on Tuesday. Here are the questions we will consider:
- What is Hatshepsut’s legacy?
- Can a leader wiped from history by her own people really be considered great?
- Are Hatshepsut’s tremendous accomplishments during her rule sufficient to prove her greatness?
As always, you may arrange your ideas in any way. For example, you may use point form, create a Venn Diagram, or create a cluster diagram.
You may also choose from a wide variety of sources. Try to use at least two:
- Your textbook has a small section about Hatshepsut. Use the index to find it.
- This video clip outlines the importance of Hatshepsut’s great temple: http://www.learn360.com/ShowVideo.aspx?SearchText=hatshepsut&ID=448511
- This article from National Geographic also includes a great photo gallery
- This video is roughly 51 minutes long: http://www.learn360.com/ShowVideo.aspx?SearchText=hatshepsut&ID=226914
- This one is roughly 45 minutes: http://www.learn360.com/ShowVideo.aspx?SearchText=hatshepsut&ID=235890